Scheduling Patrol Officers
(No. Days to be Worked x No. Hours per Day)ánn(24 hours x 7 days) to the 20th power- What time of day should each shift start?
- What kinds of shifts are utilized (e.g., 8-5, 10-4, etc.)?
- Are rotating or overlapping shifts required?
- Is there a call priority system in place?
- The number of units required for each priority level.
- The number of patrol car areas (beats) on each shift.
- Which beats need two-officer car coverage?
- How are officer shortages handled?
- Street mileage and square mileage per reporting area.
- Amount of time allotted for non-call related work.
- Average time spent per call for each priority level.
- Average time spent per call for each unit responding.
- Number of calls per hour, day and priority level.
- Balancing workload among the beats and units.